Learn about the activity log feature.
This article will explain the activity log feature.
Contents of this article:
- What is the Activity Log, and what is it for?
- How does the Activity Log appear?
- How can I use the Activity Log?
- Who can see the Activity Log?
- How can I search through the Activity Log?
- How can I save searches as a report?
- How can I export the Activity Log?
For information on how the Activity Log differs from the other logs (e.g. Content Log, People Log, Task Log, please read these articles here.
What is the Activity Log, and what is it for?
The Activity Log differs from the other logs, in that it shows all actions carried out within the site.
The Activity Log was built so that Admins and Managers can track all actions that are happening within the platform.
There are a great number of filters in the Activity Log, so it lets you get granular for your reporting.
It's a great way to see a number of things, e.g.: What users have started, completed, watched, enrolled for, etc.
How does the Activity Log appear?
As you can see below, there are a whole list of actions that will be reported on in this log.
How can I use the Activity Log?
Since there are so many possible actions to report on here, the use cases are very varied. We'll select a few here.
For a full definition of Actions in the Activity Log, we recommend reading our article here.
Example 1: You want to see how many users have logged in to the platform
Example 2: How many users have failed a certain Quiz
Example 3: Find out how many users have completed an item
To do this, you can combine filters to get more granular.
Example 4: I want to see all actions to do with learnlists which carry the tag of 'Marketing'
Example 5: I want to see all actions done by the Finance team
Who can see the Activity Log?
The following users can see the Activity Log:
- Any user with the role of Owner
- Any user with the role of Admin
- Any user with the role of Reporter
- Any user with the role of Curator IF they also have this functionality toggled on in their settings page (so, you can decide which curators, if any, should see this).
- Any user who is a Manager (i.e. has direct or indirect reports). This includes Learners who are managers. They can only see their direct reports' activity log.
- Any learner, but in this case they will only be able to see their own activity log.
What do Managers see, when they look at the Activity Log?
If a Learner is a Manager (i.e. they have direct reports), they will be able to see the Activity Log.
However, it will filter down so that they can only see the individuals who directly report to them, as well as any sub-team members.
For example, Jane Leydon is the manager of the Marketing team. She is a Learner and a Manager. Therefore she can see only see her own and her direct reports' activity.
How do I narrow down search results?
- Narrow down results by choosing the date range:
Using the Filters:
- There are also a wide variety of filters you can apply:
You will see that there are different tabs, where you can see your own activity, or filter by certain Team activity or Group activity - if you want to get more granular than "company" activity.
How can I save searches as a report?
If you want to save a search result as a report, follow these steps:
Step 1: Carry out the search and click 'Save report'
Step 2: Name the report as desired, and then save report
If you want to learn more about viewing saved reports, please read this article: https://support.learnamp.com/knowledge/where-do-i-view-saved-reports
How can I export the Activity Log?
All reporting logs in the platform can be exported, including the Activity Log.
You can export it as follows:
- Applied your desired filters (if you wish - or you can export the whole log)
- Press Actions > Export to CSV
The export will appear as follows: